We may earn money or products from the companies or links mentioned in this post.
With the summer travel season just around the corner, I wanted to share these tips I posted last summer again. Enjoy!
I feel like I haven’t written about Disneyland in forever… (Sings in head) For the first time in forever- I am writing ’bout Disneyland….
Moving on. As you may or may not know, my family ventured down to Disneyland in June of 2015, with 3 month old twins, and spent two crazy days there, enjoying the Disneyland 60 event. (We even went back again in September.) You can see everything we did during that trip, including our stay in Vegas by following our hashtag #CrazyRoadTrip15 on instagram. It was a blast, we had a lot of fun and learned a lot. It is almost a year later but the celebration for Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary is still going strong, so I wanted to share some quick tips to help others make the most of the event.
1) Take advantage of special photopass photo opp locations. Our family had a lot of fun with the special photo locations. Be sure to stop by them and get pictures to commemorate your visit.
2) If you want to see Paint The Night without camping out for a spot hours in advance (seriously, people started camping out 4 or more hours in advance. Many just sit for the Soundsational Parade and then stay there) you can sneak in for the SECOND parade that is after the fireworks. After the fireworks, most of the crowd will leave and you can get a good spot to view the second parade without standing or sitting in a spot for hours.
3) The fireworks are AMAZING! To fully appreciate the new fireworks, you will want a seat that gives you a view of the castle, and one of the other areas that has lights/pictures projected on it. This could be either in front of it’s a small world, or on Main Street, but seeing the projections, bubbles, and yes, it even snows, is magical.
4) Speaking of night time entertainment- getting out of the park during this time is AWFUL! Either leave prior to the first Paint The Night Parade OR stick it out until after the second Paint The Night Parade. We had an awful experience the night we left during these, partially because there was NO crowd control in Downtown Disney. Disneyland was not operating the trams near the picnic area, and had blocked the ramp right out side the exit, so you had to walk by the shops. Problem was, a huge crowd had gathered there to watch the fireworks from DTD…. it was awful. The traffic control was just as bad inside the park. Disneyland was not utilizing the backstage walkways that they had put in, and they really should have been. (Okay, sorry, this one really irked me because Disney created a problem that should not have been there- use the backstage walkways you created supposedly for this event, and why direct EVERYONE to the same congested area with DTD and the Trams?)
5) Get lots of pictures in front of the castle. Seriously, if you want a good picture in front of the castle… stop by there SEVERAL times during your trip. I love photopass photographers, but, between how experienced (or not) your photographer is, the crowds, other people trying to get good pictures, the lighting, etc… getting that great family shot is hard. Normally, I don’t worry too much, we will be back right? Well, I am a little bummed that this was the best shot we got because 1) the castle is all decked out for the 60th which it won’t always be and 2) it was the twins’ first visit. For the record, we did go back later that day, but the photographer then did even worse. Both were new/in training. Wish I would have known that.
6) Follow DisneylandToday on twitter. You can tweet them from inside the parks and they are pretty good at responding quickly with answers for you.
7) Download the new Disneyland Mobile App for your phone to get wait times, character locations and more. Seriously, this app came out AFTER our June visit, but we had it for September and it rocks! You can get it for both iPhone and Android.
Now, what are you waiting for- Book your Disneyland 60th Anniversary Event vacation! They will be celebrating clear into 2016 so you have time. We suggest booking through Get Away Today (affiliate link).
I am an affiliate of Get Away Today. Using my affiliate link to book your vacation through them will get you the same awesome price you would get from them anyway, but helps support this blog and my family because we earn a small amount of $ from your booking. So you get the same great price, and you help support this blog! How cool is that?