We may earn money or products from the companies or links mentioned in this post.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #DotComDIY #CollectiveBias
I love a good fall road trip. The cooler weather and fall foliage makes for a beautiful journey to my destination. My family loves to take advantage of some of the long weekends in the fall to get on the road and bond as a family.
Did you know that just like your suitcase your car needs to be packed differently based on the season? Yep! Just like you wouldn’t pack flip flops for the ski slope, your car needs different items for fall and winter then it does for summer.
When getting ready for a fall road trip, the last thing on your mind is probably a shopping trip to get all the things you need for your car. Between school, extra curricular activities, appointments and packing, you are probably too busy to spend time in the store searching for everything you need. The great thing is you can get most of what you need from Walmart.com so you can save time and money. Walmart has made significant improvements in their online shopping experience lately, and pickup options now include delivery, in-store pickup and curbside pickup.
What To Pack In Your Car for a Fall Road Trip
The first thing every car should have is an emergency kit. You know, in case something like this happens:
While emergency kits can include a lot of different items, here are some things you will want to gather together for your emergency kit.
- Jumper cables. You do not want to be without these if your battery dies.
- Tow cable. This is good to have for if you get stuck and a good Samaritan is willing to help you out.
- A manual/guide to remind you how to use your jumper cables. Seems silly, but sometimes when there is an emergency, or we are tired and frustrated, we forget how to do something.
- A first aid kit. You should have a first aid kit in your car with basic first aid supplies including bandages, alcohol wipes, medical tape, gauze, any important medical information for family members, and also non-latex gloves.
- Glow stick and flashlights. Glow sticks work great in place of flares and flashlights are great to have in case you need to see in the dark. Be sure to have these on hand.
Items You Will Want for A Fall Road Trip
Remember how I said you will want specific items for fall? Well, here are some items that will be important to have in your vehicle for a fall road trip.
Blankets. If you break down somewhere and are stuck in your vehicle, without the heater, overnight, it will be important to have blankets in your car to help keep everyone warm. You can find lots of little places to store blankets. Store in the floor compartments are a great option. Our family actually likes to tuck blankets under the back bench in the van.
- A shovel. This is good for both fall and winter. A small camping shovel is a great item to have. Fall can mean rain and mud, winter can mean snow and ice. Having a shovel in case you get stuck in either is always a good idea.
- Hand warmers. This kind of goes along with the blankets. It can get pretty chilly at night in the fall, so be sure to have some hand warmers in the glove box in case you have to get out in the cold.
What Else To Do Before a Fall Road Trip
Of course, that is not all you need for your fall road trip. It is important to make sure your car is ready for the trip. One of those is making sure your car is up to date on routine maintenance as well as current on its oil change.
If you are a DIYer you can order some Pennzoil Motor Oil online at Walmart.com and do your own DIY Oil Change. Pennzoil products are my go to because they help clean out sludge that lesser oils may leave behind. Not only that but Pennzoil is designed for complete protection and will allow you to drive an extra of 550 miles per year vs. a dirty engine.
I order the 5-quart bottles of Pennzoil Motor Oil to get the best deal, but then I also like to pick up a few quart size ones to keep in my emergency kit. I love that I can order it online and have it delivered to my home. Of course, if you are short on time, you can also choose curbside pickup. I love that Walmart.com is making it so convenient for their customers to do their shopping. Less time running errands and more time spent with family, right?
When you order online and choose curbside pickup, you simply arrive at your Walmart store during your chosen time, park in one of the designated spots, and call the number on the sign to let them know you are there. They will bring the items you ordered out to your car and load them up for you. Perfect for those of us that have to tote around littles when we run errands.
If you want to get the best bargain by buying the 5-quart bottle, but still want it in your vehicle in case you need it on your fall road trip, I suggest putting it in a bucket, along with paper towels and funnel.
This way the oil is contained, and everything you need to check or add oil is all together.
Now that you have everything you need in your car for emergencies, be sure to have your car ready for your fall road trip with this great printable checklist. It will make sure you don’t miss a thing, from inspections to setting the addresses in your GPS.
Before you download the printable, just a few things you should know.
- Printables are for personal use only. Do NOT recreate or try to sell them.
- Please do not remove the watermark/logo to this site from the printable
- To download click the link below, then click the download icon, and choose to open or save the file. Then click print. If you skip the download/open step, the printable may not print correctly.
You can access your free printable checklist by CLICKING HERE.
So Where Should Go For Your Fall Road Trip?
There are always some great options of where to go on your fall road trip. One thing I love to do is to travel to see a great concert. Which reminds me, you need to check out this special Guns N’ Roses special offer. Purchase any 2 qualifying Pennzoil Motor oil (in-store or online) & upload your receipt to receive $10 Ticketmaster Ticket Cash. All entrants will also be entered into a sweepstakes to win tickets to a Guns N’ Roses concert as part of their “Not In This Lifetime” tour!
Where will you be heading on your fall road trip?