We may earn money or products from the companies or links mentioned in this post.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MoreMomentsWithExcedrin #CollectiveBias
My family loves heading to theme parks. We have been going 2-3 times a year since the Goof was 10 months old. The Goof is on the short side and had been waiting forever to reach the 40 inch height requirement that would let him experience the majority of the thrill rides in the park. While some kids would hit this milestone before they were 3, my son was 5 before he finally hit 40 inches (with shoes on). He was so excited when he finally hit that height that we planned a special trip just for the occasion.
We drove down to Anaheim, California overnight with 3 month old twins and a 5 year old. When we got to California, The Goof was so excited to get to the park and ride those new rides. He didn’t even want to wait until the next day to go. But by the time we got to our hotel and checked in, I had a bad headache. I mean, we had driven overnight and while Mike drove most of the night, I definitely did not get the best sleep. Not to mention that we had to stop several times to feed the twins. I hated thinking that my headache might mean he couldn’t hit up the theme parks that evening.
Thankfully, over the many years I have learned that headaches are actually one of the most common issues I face at theme parks and I was prepared. In fact, I have made myself a little theme park survival kit just to help make sure I am able to enjoy these magical moments with my family without letting something like a headache get in my way. (I will share everything that is in my survival kit in a moment.)
Knowing headaches are a common theme park woe, I had packed some Excedrin® Extra Strength. Excedrin® Extra Strength was able to provide me with fast relief and we were able to head to the theme park within an hour. I am not sure who was more excited about being able to go that night, me or the Goof?
I can’t imagine missing moments like this with my family. And not just missing, I wouldn’t want these moments to be something I don’t enjoy because I am powering through with a headache. That is why I am glad that Excedrin® can be trusted to deliver fast relief.
After years of going to theme parks, I have learned there are some things you need on hand to be prepared so you can keep your vacations magical and enjoy special moments with your family.
I have my go-to items and I want to share them with you so you hopefully don’t have to miss a milestone or magical memory.
Theme Park Survival Kit
I was able to pick up all of the items in my Theme Park Survival Kit at my local Walmart. It is nice to be able to get everything in one store so I don’t have to run from place to place while I am trying to get ready for vacation. While there, I hit the pain relief aisle to pick up my favorite Excedrin® products for my trip.
I like to use a cheap cosmetic bag to put my kit in. Then I throw that into my park bag/purse. Clear ones are best since most theme parks have security and they can easily look in a clear bag, but I have used other ones on occasion. I have even used a travel baby wipes container (the thin kind) in the past.
What is in my Theme Park Survival Kit?
- Sunscreen – Obviously we want to protect our skin. We pack sunscreen for the entire family in our regular park bag, but I like to keep a little travel size one in my kit, because my kit is in my purse, which is with us in line. The wait in line is the perfect time to reapply sunscreen.
- Chapstick – I also pack a chapstick with SPF 15 for our lips.
- Deodorant – I never want to have to worry about smelling badly on a hot day in the theme park so I pack a travel size deodorant.
- Eye drops – I wear contacts so I pack contact friendly eye drops in case my eyes start to feel dry.
- Hand sanitizer – I have kids who like to touch everything so hand sanitizer is a must for this mom.
- Body/Baby powder – Okay, this one is for after I go on wet rides (or if it is really hot). This is great to help stop chaffing. Seriously!
- Liquid Bandage – I love liquid bandage for when you start to get a blister. You put a few coats on and it helps keep your shoes from rubbing it and, unlike moleskin, it won’t come off if it gets wet.
- Excedrin® Extra Strength – I know that headaches are a common issue for me when at theme parks. Not sure if it is the noise, overstimulation, multiple smells or what, but I know that there is about a 50% chance I will get a headache at least once during our week at the parks. So I pack Excedrin® Extra Strength for fast headache relief (Use only as directed).
- Excedrin® Tension Headache – Mike needs an aspirin-free option for headache relief, so I pack this for him.
- Tissues – Because you never know when you will need them.
I am so glad that I am prepared for things that might come up on our theme park adventures. I would hate to miss special moments. Like my son having a 10 minute conversation with Alice and the Mad Hatter, or his first time on a thrill ride. Those are moments you can’t get back.
After the end of a long day at the parks, sometimes I need something a little extra to help me unwind and recharge. So I often swing by a local Walmart in the area and pick up a pack of long grain rice. Then I go back to the hotel and make a rice pack. How do I make one without a sewing machine?
I use a clean sock. Seriously. I pack extra socks just for this purpose. I know, sounds silly, but it works.
Take your sock and fill it 2/3 full with the long grain rice.
Once you have filled the sock 2/3 full, tie a knot in the opening of the sock to close it off. That is it. Now you have a rice pack. What do you do with the rice pack? You can either use your hotel room microwave or mini-fridge to make a hot or cold pack respectively.
After a long day at the theme parks, I love to come back to the hotel to a cool pack (or heat pack depending on my mood/pains). If I end up with a headache at the end of the night, I choose to use Excedrin® PM Headache. The triple action formula provides fast nighttime headache relief. Getting a good night sleep without a headache helps me be charged up for the next day.
There are so many special moments in life, it is important that I am able to be present and enjoy them. From moments at our favorite theme park, to first steps, to birthdays and more, I know that I won’t have to worry about a headache keeping me from making memories with my family thanks to Excedrin®.