We may earn money or products from the companies or links mentioned in this post.
We are a road-tripping family. We prefer to drive on trips over flying. Partially because of cost, partially because we just love driving and seeing things along the way. Maybe it is because we both grew up road-tripping (neither of us even flew until we were in our mid-late 20’s), maybe it just fits our style better, but we seriously prefer it, even if it takes a while longer than flying.
In all our years of road-tripping, we have learned that there are a bunch of items you need, some items that are nice to have, and other items that we have realized we do not need, even though we thought we did. Today I am going to share with you our road trip must-haves that make our road trips AWESOME.
Disclosure: This part of the post may contain affiliate links. Affiliate links mean if you purchase through my link, you get the same awesome deal you would anyways, but I just get paid a little money for the referral, kind of like a commission.
- 3 USB Port Car Charger.
No matter how much we try and stagger our charging of our devices, and even with having 3 charging ports in our car, it never fails that we end up at some point needing t0 charge 4 items in the front (where we have 2 ports) and an item in the back. Between cell phones, GPS, ipod (yes, we still have one- and it isn’t touch screen), ipad for the Goof, and more, we often find ourselves short on charges. Having one charger that can charge 3 items is a HUGE help and has eliminated this issue. We actually have a 3 USB charger one for the front and a 2 USB charger one for the back and then we leave the 2nd front port for the GPS. It is so nice.
- A Good Water Bottle. I rarely am one to spend big on an item like a water bottle (I am just way too
cheapthrifty) but when it comes to road-tripping, I seriously think it is important to have something that is refillable, and can keep your drinks hot or cold. I actually received an amazing one as a gift, very similar to this one HERE, and it is seriously my favorite. It keeps drinks cold even when out in the sun all day, and warm even if I put them in the fridge. This is definitely something you will want to splurge on.
- An amazing playlist, or 3. I think one of the key components of a great road trip is having that perfect playlist. Come on, you know what I am talking about. The one that the whole car can belt out almost every word to every song. We actually have 4 Road Trip playlists- each one is only the best of each genre. Kids/Disney Roadtrip, Mixed Roadtrip (80s, 90s, etc), Country Roadtrip, and a Comedy Roadtrip. Whatever your genre of choice, pick the best of the best, and songs that are upbeat and keep you awake.
- A killer list of car games. If you are road tripping with kids, or with even adults, a list of car games is a great way to help pass the time. Teach your kids games you played as a kid like the license plate game, the alphabet game and more. If it is only adults, play your favorite games from when you were kids. A new idea- have everyone suggest items for a road trip scavenger hunt and everyone can hunt for items. Play as a team, individuals, or split in even teams, just make it fun.
- A great road trip kit. Even if you are an adult, a great road trip kit (with age appropriate items) is a must. It should include items to entertain, something to do during stops to help stretch your legs, maybe a pillow, and anything else you would want to make the road trip fun. If you have kids be sure to check out our Essential Kids Road Trip Kit. We even tell you how to stop them from asking “Are we there yet” in it.
- Ultimate Choice of Snacks. One thing you have to have on any road trip is snacks, right? Pick out the best snacks for road trips by choosing items that are easy to vacuum, are salty and sweet, and also sustain you until your next stop. We love to have a variety of chips, cheeses, crackers, granola bars, and fun snacks we remember from our past road trips as a kid. Maybe your snack of choice is FunYuns, or Beef Jerky. Whatever it is, have a variety that everyone loves. Also, don’t forget waters and sodas!
- Awesome Travel Buddies! This is the most important I think. Have the people you love, and people that are optimistic and want to have a good time. I have traveled with “that guy” before, you know- the one who is the kill joy, the one who hates the drive, hates listening to fun music, etc. It just really brings the driving part of a road trip down. Make sure everyone is excited and optimistic- oh and don’t you be “that guy” either.
Those are our must- have items and they help us out a ton and really help us have a good time on road trips. Do you have any items that just make your road trip awesome? Share them in the comments below.